- Rottboellia cochinchinensis is an annual grass that invades disturbed and agricultural areas throughout the southeastern United States.
- Stems and leaves are covered with stiff, irritating hairs. Stems can reach a height of 1-10 ft. (0.3-3 m). Leaf blades are 5.9-17.7 in. (15-45 cm) long, 0.2-0.8 in. (5-20 mm) wide and flat.
- The inflorescence is a jointed, cylindrical raceme, 1-6 in. (2.5-15.24) long.
- Under favorable conditions, Rottboellia cochinchinensis starts producing seeds 6-7 weeks after emergence. Seed production continues throughout the growing season.
- Ecological Threat
- Rottboellia cochinchinensis invades agricultural fields and other disturbed areas. The hairs on the stems and leaves can cause severe irritation, and the plant is unpalatable to livestock and wildlife. It is native to the Old World tropics, but it is currently widespread throughout the world’s tropical regions and in the southeastern United States.
Image Sets View other image sets:
EDDMapS Distribution - This map is incomplete and is based only on current site and county level reports made by experts, herbaria, and literature. For more information, visit www.eddmaps.org
State Invasive List - This map identifies those states that list this species on their invasive species list. For more information, visit Invasive.org
Most Troublesome / Most Common Agricultural Weed List
This map identifies those states that consider this species either most troublesome or most common in at least one commodity. For more information, visit the MTMC project page.
|No Data for this state|
|Troublesome or Common weed in one or more crops|
Invasive Listing Sources
- California Noxious Weeds
- East Central Florida CISMA
- Federal Noxious Weeds
- Florida Keys Invasive Species Task Force - Category III
- Florida Noxious Weeds
- Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council - Category 3
- Massachusetts Noxious Weeds
- Minnesota Noxious Weeds
- Mississippi Noxious Weeds
- Nonnative Invasive Species in Southern Forest and Grassland Ecosystems
- North Carolina Noxious Weeds - Class A
- South Carolina Noxious Weeds
- Texas Noxious Weeds
- USDA APHIS Regulated Pest List
- Vermont Noxious Weeds
- WeedUS - Database of Plants Invading Natural Areas in the United States
CategoriesCategory: Grass or Grasslike
|Common Name Reference:|| USDA, NRCS. 2010. The PLANTS Database. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.|
|Scientific Name Reference:||USDA, NRCS. 2010. The PLANTS Database. National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.|